The following is a simple tip for getting on top of your home maintenance checklist every year: Take it a small chunk at a time. You will be surprised by just how the small steps quickly add up to great results. You could opt to hire a professional team such as CJH cleaning services. But if you dedicate some time to home maintenance i.e. 2 hours a week, an afternoon every month, and several days a year, your home is guaranteed to remain in great shape.
Here is a simple checklist for you to follow:
Weekly Home Maintenance
The weekly home maintenance will mostly depend on the features of your home and will include some or all of these tasks:
– Vacuuming your carpets thoroughly. If you have hardwood floors, you should use a large dust mop to give them a good once-over.
– Bathroom maintenance. Don’t forget to doing everything in small chunks when it comes to this. For instance, you can spend some time repairing the damaged tile grout in a tub or shower or you may pick a drain previously used by someone with long hair and use a Zip-it tool to clean it out.
– Clean the exterior of all your appliances and the interior of one appliance each week. For example, if you clean out the refrigerator in one week, run a cleaning tablet through the dishwasher the following week, and wipe out the dryer the subsequent week.
Monthly Home Maintenance
It is all about the projects that you know you need to do regularly but often never get to doing. Simply pick an afternoon and do it.
– Clean your range hood and filter
– Clean the furnace filter, and if necessary, replace it. Doing that ensures that your furnace runs efficiently and will keep your utility bills down.
– Dust the light fixtures, polish any wood furniture, and wipe down the baseboards.
– Check the carbon monoxide and smoke detectors to ensure that they are functioning properly and don’t require new batteries. If you have a fire extinguisher, ensure that it is fully charged.
– Visually inspect the exterior of your house for any issues or problems, such as damaged siding, loose shingles, overgrown shrubbery or trees, as well as insect nests. Make a note to have the problems fixed.
Yearly Home Maintenance
Here are some of the bigger home maintenance tasks that should be done once a year:
– Clean and organise your attic, basement, or garage. It is a maintenance task that just about everyone hates doing, but it feels so good once done. You are also likely to come across some forgotten treasures that you can either sell online or donate to charity.
– Wash your window screens and windows and allow the sunshine to get in. While it is a task that’s often done in the Spring, you can do it just about any time of the year.
– Take on a major outdoor improvement project every year, and schedule 1 or 2 days to get it done. For instance, you may want to install a fence, patch up a concrete or asphalt driveway, refinish a large deck, or install raised garden beds.
– Clean out the gutters, check under the eaves, remove any shrubbery or trees that may be encroaching in your property, and install wire grates in any holes for keeping pests out.
– Freshen up a room in the house. Pick any room and give it a small makeover. For example, you may switch curtains, repaint it, move the furniture, and add knickknacks and plants to give it a fresh new look. If you can do that with one room every year, your entire home will look amazing in a few years.